Ana’s Easter Weekend Chocolate Brownies Recipe (adapted from Simply Whisked)
• 3/4 cup cacao powder or cocoa powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2/3 cup olive oil, divided
• 1/2 cup boiling water
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 eggs (or 2 flax eggs*)
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon baking powder (only if using the flax eggs)
• 1 1/3 cup spelt flour
1. Preheat your oven to 180ºC or 350ºF and line a square baking dish (roughly 9×9”) with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and baking powder (if using) and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the cacao and salt.
4. Whisk in 1/3 cup olive oil and boiling water and mix until smooth.
5. Add in the sugar, eggs or flax eggs, and the other 1/3 cup of olive oil and combine until you reach a smooth consistency.
6. Add in the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
7. Pour the batter into the pan. At this stage, you can also top the batter with nuts or berries if you’d like.
8. Bake for around 20-25 minutes.
9. Let the brownies cool before slicing. Serve with ice cream, berries, or a cup of tea. Enjoy!